"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

White Stuff

An exceptionally rare "Snow Day" for the Legislature, so I'm here at the Lodge to capture thrilling incidents like this one--



Looks like they're dancing, but from Ruth's fierce expression, you know it's a play fight. I encouraged her and Jewel to chase each other round their yard until they were exhausted, so they would spend the rest of the day like this:



The above sofa view shows a typical configuration, whether I'm working on my laptop, watching television, reading a book or newspaper or magazine. There's just enough room for me!

It's the season for really scary icicles on New England houses. Our rooftop has a very sunny exposure and good air circulation, so we don't get much ice build-up. But we can boast a very impressive 'cicle clinging to the screened porch.



What so cool is that it's soooooo lengthy! It hangs down really far. I wish I could measure it, I think it's as tall as me.



Inside the house, there's white stuff, too. My beautiful white azalea is blooming. Later than usual this year, as if it knew I needed the presence of flowers more in wintertime than in autumn!




Busy legislative day yesterday, five public hearings in my committee. (I chaired one of them, so sat in the Chairman's big chair and banged the gavel at the start and conclusion.) Controversial bills drew members of the public to other committee rooms in droves. The Chap was there, too, monitoring bills, so we had a chance to lunch together in the cafeteria.

By early afternoon, as news of the impending snowstorm grew more and more dire, the Speaker announced that today's House session would be cancelled.


No comments: