"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fun on Snow

It's a dangerous day. Sunny, mild, the temperature is headed into the mid- to upper 40's.

Just a big tease, there's lots of winter left. March is usually our snowiest month. We often have snow in Easter Week...no matter when Easter might fall.

But we're enjoying this respite while it lasts.

I was at the State House all of yesterday--public hearings and executive sessions in my committee. A good day but a long one. Our chairman was prime sponsor of the now non-controversial saltwater fishing licence bill, so I got the gavel in the afternoon for that hearing, which lasted nearly two hours. (Two years ago, when first introduced, we had quite a heated and well-attended public hearing, and almost complete opposition!) The view of North State Street is greatly improved by the gleaming cleanliness of my car.

This morning on the deck, the girls were mountain-climbing.

Ruth on the summit of No-name Mountain.



Ruth at the edge of No-name Mountain.



Jewel climbs Wolf Mountain.



Jewel on the Summit of Wolf Mountain.



Jewel descends Wolf Mountain, and Ruth--who decided she's much happier on terra firma--is excited about it.



We watched the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show last night. It was an all black or brown dog final, except for the Scottish Deerhound. Stump was a cutie with a great story. But that deerhound...sigh.

PS I was invited to show off my knowledge of garden history at the Word Wenches blog, a group blog of writing friends and colleagues.

My progress on the manuscript is making me very happy. I'll be spending my part of my writing day in a royal garden in the Netherlands. The chapter after that one takes place on a battlefield. Interesting contrasts!

~~~~
Afternoon Update

The temperature has soared to 50 degrees on our outdoor thermometer.


No comments: