"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Endurance Test


So far, I've survived this insane week.

Yesterday's House session was full and busy. I kipped out long enough to attend a diocesan deputation meeting (where the photo was taken), including two bishops and 5 clerical and 5 lay deputies. And from there I went straight to the County Delegation public hearing and vote on the next year's county budget. An item related to 2 of my district towns was on the agenda, and I ended up doing spur-of-the moment testimony. The vote was favorable, but it helped that the County Sheriff and Commissioner were on our side!



Very late in the afternoon I very nearly was in 3 places at once...and all within a block or so of one another. I kept thinking of those tigers in the Sambo tale who raced round and round in circles and ended up as a melted pool of butter. I kept imagining a melted pool of red and black (the colours I was wearing) being discovered somewhere between No. State and Centre and Court Streets....

Arrived home at the Lodge after 8, so long past suppertime I was beyond normal hunger(fortunately I had a light restaurant lunch during midday break). So I heated a leftover slice of pizza.

Today's session started at 9:30, with a break to hear the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court give his bi-annual State of the Judiciary address. Then it was back to nonstop legislating. We finished up at 7:30.

During our many hours in Reps Hall we voted to abolish the death penalty, retain our civil unions law, approve medicinal use of marijuana, which will make the headlines tomorrow. We made other decisions that probably will not make news but will affect people's lives--and serve them well, I sincerely hope.

For lunch I ate light--yogurt and a clementine. I walked around a lot, did a staircase workout (4 flights in the LOB twice, 3 flights in the State House twice). At mid-afternoon I slipped upstairs (1 flight, with return) to the Majority Office for celery stick (virtuous), a handful of animal crackers (comfort food), a couple of mini Kit Kats and a few peanut butter cups (medicinal--necessary to maintaining my blood sugar levels!)

Energy was seriously fading as the afternoon wore on. I was fairly perky after my long yesterday/last night. But today I lacked stamina. Home at 8, threw together a spinach-mushroom-feta omelet, ate it. At least I think I did. It disappeared, that much I know.

Magazines are stacking up, unread. Newspapers, too. Not a priority just now.

My dogs still recognise me, so that's good. The Chap is having a busy week, too, but makes it home in time to feed the beasts. I never know when I'm getting home....

I'm getting emails by the hundreds from people all around the State pleading with me to vote a particular way on a specific bill.

The final leg of this legislative marathon comes tomorrow. The morning promises to be very highly charged due to the big, big bill at the top of our docket. Simultaneously I'm supposed to be testifying on the Senate bill I'm co-sponsoring. I've prepared written testimony, which I'll present in person only if it doesn't prevent my being present for the Big Vote everyone's emailing me about. Luckily the Senate hearing room is in the State House and not over at the LOB, which makes things logistically easier--though still challenging in terms of the clock.

Am I getting any writing done this week? you might wonder. Yes. Yes, I am. In longhand. During some of the, shall we say, less thrilling debates.

When I fall into bed at night I shut off the brain and sleep like a rock...a very comatose rock. For two nights in a row I've slept so deeply that I woke in exactly the same position in which I dropped off to sleep! None of the typical tossing and turning.


No comments: