"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 01, 2009

Musical Monday: Magnapop

It's June Fools Day. First day of June and outside it feels like--um, late March? When I woke up the temperature was 42 degrees...I don't want to think what it was overnight. I slept under several wool blankets. What the cottage offers in beautiful vistas and rustic comforts and productive writing ambience and mod cons like cable tv and internet access, it lacks in insulation and thermal windows.

A brisk walk with the girls, warmed me up significantly and the mug of tea is helping also.

One of the benefits of bopping round Athens, GA during the heyday of the "Athens scene" was getting to know some of the "second waves" bands that, unlike R.E.M. and B-52's, didn't turn into household names.

Technically Magnapop is an Atlanta group, but lead singer Linda Hopper was also hopping round Athens at the same time I was. For a while she and Michael Stipe's sister Linda had a duo called Oh-Ok. I love her voice.

Here's a longtime favourite.



Merely looking over my schedule for this week is wearying, so I'm making the most of these remaining hours of solitude and secludsion.


No comments: