"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Garden in Bloom



I took these photographs on Saturday, knowing I'd be here at the lake cottage today.

Rose of the Day: Yes, it's time for the annual feature. Here's Therese Bugnet, a rugosa hybrid. Like most of the roses she suffered no damage whatsoever from the December ice storm or the onslaught of Winter '09, and is a towering specimen. By which I mean taller than me. I was looking up at this flower.



Snowdon, a white rugosa hybrid, is very close by. It suffered massive damage and I had to cut it almost down to the ground. It's still alive, but only a semblance of its former self. I know from experience that it will tower again someday. And bloom, but probably not this year.

Purple lupine.



Close-up of pink lupine.



Bleeding heart is so photogenic.



The Scotch rose, Double Blush Burnet, now fully opened.



I don't even remember planting this columbine, but it's enormous this year.



White potentilla.



Cranesbill geranium.



Wild ox-eye daisy.



My late-blooming and massively scented lilac. The butterflies love it, but I didn't catch one in action because the flowers haven't yet opened. Soon!



And at the lake, where I am now, the same plant. Strangely, although it's several miles north of the Lodge, its blossoms are fully open. From its location by the back screen door, the aroma wafts into the house. Heavenly!



The Big White Boat just cruised past the dock, having already been down to the dock at the end of the Bay. I was hoping for a webcam view as it went by the Point, but the cam doesn't refresh its image very often. Here's a view taken as it departed home port earlier this morning.



Another lovely day on the Big Lake.

So glad you stopped by. To continue strolling, stop by Aisling's blog.


No comments: