"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Convention Exhibit Hall

I'm not spending much time outdoors. When I do, I photograph the flora, some of which is familiar and some of which is very different from what grows in NH.

But I've decided to post an indoor stroll through the convention Exhibit Hall, as vast as it is fascinating. The exhibitors include seminaries, mission-oriented endeavours, church organisations, support and advocacy groups, monastic communities, religious and other publishers, and so much more. Of particular interest--and beauty--are the handicrafts and retail booths.

Some in our deputation have purchased clothing items like this one from Guatemala.



Other forms of personal adornment.



Here are the tools...



...of the artist who creates illuminated manuscripts.



If you need to order communion ware or altar cloths, you'll find it.



Colourful handmade stoles.




Ordained persons--deacons, priests and bishops--can outfit themselves.



More clericals.



Especially for bishops.



Yours truly purchased a handbag made by the Miao hilltribe women of the Hunan province in China, plus a skirt made by a Hmong community in Minnesota. (I've collected Hmong handicrafts in the past.)

A warm wrap might have been more practical. But I plan no further shopping for myself and vow that future purchases will be gifts for others. Therefore, to keep warm during our chilly Legislative Sessions, I'm using one of my hotel room towels for a shawl!



Thanks for strolling. To continue, head over here.


No comments: