"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dejuener sur la terrace avec bloggers

This morning there was rain but it soon subsided, and exactly like yesterday it stayed away until we returned from our excursion. Today we ventured into a part of the city we rarely see--I think not since my very first time in Montreal. And even then, it wasn't quite the same area.

We got off the Metro and we made our way to the residence of Beth (of cassandra pages) and her husband J. we spotted several large dogs in guide dog harness.

We arrived right at 11:00. It was as though no time had passed since our last meeting although in fact it has been two years.

While we walked the neighbourhood, Beth spotted an albino squirrel.



Our walk took us to this boulangerie where we bought a loaf of French bread for lunch and the Chap picked up some croissants for his breakfast--they came well recommended. I hope he shares!



And during our stroll, again we saw the 3 or 4 guide dogs in harness. It seemed as though they were having some training.

As always when two or more bloggers gather, it was a photo op. The professional photographer in our midst seemed strangely challenged by a simple point-and-shoot digicam. (As well as by my excessively frequent blink rate!)



But the result, a J. original, is extremely artistic--I think I've found the photographer for my next book jacket. This apparently is how I look when concentrating on not blinking.



We ate on the terrace and had the perfect summer lunch--a selection of salads and some cheese and and delicious breads (I even tried the one with olives) and a bowl of fresh fruit. And wine!

Followed by black coffee and deep talk. (The Chap took this photo. Beth seems impressed by the fact that I'm not blinking.)



A little while after our lunch J. left for an appointment. Beth generously sent us off with some Ontario peaches for which we are most grateful. Our thanks to both of them for taking time out of their day...and we look forward to reciprocating their hospitality on our side of the border!

I was having such fun seeing our friends that I forgot to let Sparkle out--until we left. She's climbing their front step, trying to get back in.



Then Chap and I retraced our steps to the Metro stop. Although it was several hours later, the working dogs were still at work.





We stopped in the SAQ Express, hoping I might find my elusive Mort Subite framboise (raspberry) beer. The Chap only managed to score two of them last week. In recent days we've been in several SAQ's where we normally find plenty of it, but no luck. Till today!

So I bought half a dozen. And for 75 cents a six-compartment carrier to carry it in, which came with a "lifetime guarantee." I can add it to my ever-growing souvenir carrier collection. On this trip I'm accompanied by my hemp one from Waitrose in London and the Diocese of New Hampshire one that we've used here for the supermarket. Which, at the moment, is full of a Liefmans product, Fruitesse, which is not the same as Mort Subite framboise...but was was as close as I could get until today.

Standing on the Metro platform with carrier full of Belgian beer.



Just as we came out of the Place d'Armes Metro stop the skies opened up--just like yesterday. There's a pattern to these muggy summer afternoons. And like yesterday, the rain stopped before the Chap left for his meeting.


No comments: