"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Road-Tripping in Reverse

We negotiated the city streets and the road works clogging the motorway round Montréal, and followed the same route out of Québec that we did on Sunday to get there.

But...big difference. This time, the statuary store was open. I haven't been back for many years--we don't usually come home this way on a weekday. But today we did.

It is a mecca for the lawnware connoisseur.



Statuary comes in all sizes.

Tall



Small



There's a lot of choice.



Last time I purchased my horse head, exactly like this one. Perhaps it needs a plinth?



This lady is taller than I am.



The rule for any purchase--apart from fitting inside the car--is that I should be able to carry it out myself. This angel is just what I need!



This might be one of my most favourite dashboard photos, ever: reflection in the back of a milk carrier truck. It looks like the road ahead--in fact, it's the road behind, already travelled.



My special licence plate caused a bit of confusion at the US Border. Vermont legislative leadership plates don't look like ours. But we made it through.

South of Burlington, the whale tails wave goodbye. They are very near the airport--I managed to catch a small plane passing over the tails!



It was a pleasant drive through the Green Mountain State. And then we were back home in the Granite State. (Which also has green mountains.)

A lizard in the mirror may be closer than it appears.



Rose of the Day: Eglantyne welcomed us home to the Lodge.



In the early evening we drove over to the kennel to collect the girls. We saw turkeys in the field where we always see turkeys--they were huge! They were also congregating with a larger flock of Canada geese. We spotted a kestrel on a telephone wire, gazing over a field.

Ruth and Jewel are ecstatic to be home. I missed them while we were away. But I always love Montréal, and it was wonderful spending time with the Chap, on the road and in the city. I'm glad I decided to tag along!


No comments: