"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Colourful Prelude

Reasons I love New Hampshire? Let me count them.

1. The clergy of our diocese. (The laity, too, but I spent most of today with clergy.) A big chunk of our General Convention deputation (remember Anaheim in July?) attended the monthly Clergy Day meeting to give a presentation on our experiences and the outcomes of convention. We didn't prepare in advance, it was all basically ad lib, but I think our listeners got a good sense of our common and individual perceptions. Saw so many friends, some of whom I hadn't seen for yonks, or rarely see. One of the Bishop's canons provided a delicious soup and scrummy bread and a variety of cheeses, with dried fruit and nuts.

2. Medical offices. "What is she, crazy?" you're thinking. I know health care is a big topic right now and no way I'm getting into that, because I don't like to get political or even that topical on my blog. But this is my Medical Season, when every annual sort of examination or test takes place.

I had one such appointment last week and 3 this week and 2 more next week. Each time I show up at the designated time, and before I even have a chance to sit down in the waiting room, I'm taken to the exam room. There's virtually no wait for the personnel--nurse or doctor. I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed--and appreciative--of this efficiency and good time management. I'm also one of the blessed 80% of Americans happy with her health insurance, so that part goes smoothly as well, and I don't take it for granted.

3. Summer in September. It has been so incredibly warm for much of this week. Even at night. Colder weather will return, but it was fun wearing sandal-type shoes again today!

3. Foliage, foliage, foliage. We're really only in the prelude to autumn colour, but so far it's absolutely lovely.

4. The terrain.

For my eye doctor appointment I was at the big shopping area for Concord. Total retail sprawl, identical to Any City, USA. And literally from the mall parking lot I shot this photo:



Not bad for a mall parking lot. Rather picturesque, in fact. Trees and water: God's landscaping.

This heron was catching fish.



Nice yellow-green combo.



5. The bishops of our diocese. I was standing at the Lancome counter writing a check when a I heard a gentleman call out my name, quite loudly--our retired bishop. Our current one presided at Clergy Day, but unexpectedly I got to see the other one, which is always a treat. Even--and especially--in unexpected places.

6. Weird stuff. I was at a stoplight when I checked my rear view mirror and saw this spectacle, for which I have no explanation whatsoever.



Believe me, my car was not in motion when I took that rear window picture.

7. Did I mention the foliage and landscape? Here's a boggy spot quite near the Lodge.



That's only 7 reasons I love New Hampshire. There are so many more.

One of my great accmplishments of today was purchasing a pair of jeans. Since losing 30 pounds, my old ones don't exactly fit well. I wasn't all that happy with them before losing the weight. It's so hard to find the Perfect Pair, and I have a lamentaable tendency to settle for something not exactly perfect.

At the department store they were having a mondo sale, plus by donating 4 items of clothing to Goodwill at the store I received 8 20% off coupons. I noticed that Calvin Klein jeans were on sale. It's been forever since I wore that brand so I picked 3 likely sizes. The first one fit perfectly. Not too tight, not too baggy, not too long, not too anything else. And with the sale discount and the coupon discount, it was a super price.

So, yet again I own a pair size 8 Calvins, just like I had when I was, like, 16. I find this rather funny. In a good way!

Dinner party tomorrow night. Back to the Lake this weekend, probably without man or beasts, for another writing marathon.


No comments: