"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Unit



Yesterday my home was invaded by 3 and sometimes 4 installers. After a busy few hours and significant expense, a propane-powered generator was added to the Lodge's many amenites. It's basically a win-win. Either the money spent ensures that never again will we have a power outage of any kind. Or, in the event of ice storm, tornado, fallen trees, or transformer blow-out, most of our house will be amply supplied with electricity. No more ice in the bathtub!

Ruth and Jewel were excellent hostesses and enjoyed having the workmen around.

Word from the computer repair shop in Concord: my trusty and well-travelled laptop will live on, there's nothing catastrophic wrong with it. The tech removed a big fuzzball the internal fan unit and now it's working perfectly. Cost of repair, a mere $22.50. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I've made good my longstanding promise to Ruth to put her in a book. My late dogs Lola and Shadow were immortalised in that fashion. I was going to put Ruth in a kid's book or a nonfiction book (Jon Katz is a pretty big influence on me.) But she's now included in my work-in-progress. She's not quite as tiny as so many 17th century lap dogs, but she's a good fit nonethless. Jewel's turn will come someday.

The trees on our property are growing more colourful by the day. Still some colour in the gardens, too.

Early in the summer the deer made it past the barrier round the front garden and hard-pruned my false sunflowers. And yet--they're blooming!



At this time of year, the mild or cool temperatures convince the forsythia it's April. So they throw out a few blossoms--while their leaves are changing colour!



The tall garden phlox.



Turtlehead.



Alba rugosa.



Maybe my last perennial sweetpeas.



I've been looking over the LSR's (Legislative Service Requests) that have been posted, aka embryonic bills for the next session. Major deja vu.


No comments: