"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, October 09, 2009

Anniversary Aftermath

In a demonstration of what a perfect match we are, my spouse and I gave one another the very same London-themed anniversary card. The envelopes were different colours, and we purchased them at different stores in different parts of the city. But still....We can't stop laughing about it.



The cards feature London's famous costermongers in their pearly attire. A few years ago I happened to be photographing their festival and got some wonderful shots of the Pearly Kings and Queens. I must review my archive to see if I captured this very couple.

Our celebratory dinner was all we could have hoped. The restaurant is a real find. It was an old reliable of ours, but now under entirely new management. They now feature half-portions, which is so perfect for me. I had my new camera and tried out some of the non-flash settings in the romantic, low-light environment. So I'm able to share all three courses with you.

Half-portion Caesar Salad. (with anchovies!)



Half-portion filet mignon, cooked to melt-in-your mouth perfection, on a bed of brie mashed potatoes and locally sourced vegetables, topped with Portabella mushrooms.



Dulce de leche creme brulee. It didn't come in a half portion, but we shared it.



Did you spot the Chap's 25 year-old wedding band?

When we returned to the Lodge we exchanged more gifts. I had picked up the oil paintings from the artist's studio in the afternoon, and placed them so he'd seem them as soon as he walked in the door. The painting on the left is a local scene in our town, the one in the middle is a location nearby. I chose them for him because they signify October, the month in which we married, and the landscape as it was during our honeymoon here in New Hampshire. (I never imagined, back then, that I'd ever be fortunate enough to live here year round.) The small picture of lupines is significant because I grow both the purple and the mauve ones, which bloom in July--the Chap's birthday month.



On Wednesday I woke with a terrible sore throat and headache, but managed to participate in a Chairs & Vice Chairs meeting at the Legislative Office Building. My malady was not as fleeting as I hope. Yesterday I had to cancel and/or postpone all my appointments to stay in bed. Perversely, the bug felled me on the very day I was scheduled to get my flu shot!

Being a glass half-full sort of person, I'm quick to point out the benefits of enforced seclusion. I've been writing like a demon. I'm not sure that my feverish (in every sense of the word) output is my very best work, but it's moving me ever closer to the conclusion of this novel. And I can always improve it in revisions.


No comments: