"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, October 16, 2009

Back to a Semblance of Normal



A good day to curl up on the sofa and gnaw on nylabones. I took that photo earlier. At the moment both Jewel and Ruth are soundly sleeping in more or less the same locations.

Such a blustery day--bringing the very first snow flurries to our region. North of here there has been some actual snow this week. The wind has stripped lots of leaves from many of our trees. But overall, the foliage is just now at peak colour.

Had some wacky dreams in the early hours of the morning. In one, someone was trying to alter the deed to the lake cottage property. In the other dream I had a third dog, a very large black and white mixed breed with pointy husky ears. It lived in a hole in the ground in the back garden, outside the dogs' fence. I roused it from its lair and it romped in the snow. (The snow part turned out to be sort of prophetic!)

My completing-the-manuscript euphoria is still fairly intense. I permitted myself a tiny bit of ms. tinkering yesterday but mostly focussed on cleaning up my messes. My work corner, recently pictured, is unbelievably tidy now. Yesterday I organised all my research boooks and files, to ensure a smoother revision process.

I'm undergoing re-entry into normal household life. Some changes on the horizon...new appliances! Our washing machine, which went into a decline after last December's ice storm, was about to be repaired, when suddenly the heating element of the clothes dryer gave out. This is quite convenient, since we've got a stackable all-in-one unit. If one item is replaced, both must be. The Chap has been checking out the stock and the sales in all the big box stores. Next week the tiler is coming to do some finish work in our renovated master bath, and I'll consult with him about re-flooring the guest bath.

I scarcely ever turn on the telly in the daytime--normally I listen to BBC Radio 4 while working. But yesterday I wasn't slogging away at the ms. In the afternoon I tuned in to MSNBC to check the Dow, and saw the helium balloon flying over the very familiar flat fields of Eastern Colorado. So, like many others, I was following the bizarre story in real time, and was relieved by the happy ending.

Today I plan to start reading a book. I'm spoilt for choice. I've got an advance reading copy of a novel from someone seeking a blurb, and several other options both historical and contemporary.

Tomorrow I've got an almost all-day diocesan event tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it because lots of my favourite people will be participating.

Next week on the blog I'm planning to do something I've never done before, related to the now-completed-not-yet-revised novel.

Have a lovely weekend!


No comments: