"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just Desserts

Well, serves me right, making jokes about "back alley" flu shots. I expected the worst of it would be the usual ache in the arm for a day or so. Unfortunately I had a more substantial reaction to the vaccine and on this, the 3rd day post-jab, I'm still feeling the effects of it. Unprecedented, I might add. At a dinner party last night a friend told me her daughter also felt sick after her flu shot. I know it's not anything abnormal but usually I have no reaction at all. The Chap didn't when he got his.

This post might also be titled "Sweets with Stuff in the Middle."

Those who know me are aware that I'm convinced that the traditional ice cream sandwich--vanilla ice cream between chocolate cake--is the Perfect Food. I've expanded that opinion to include a new seasonal version of the ice cream sandwich.

The Egg Nog ice cream sandwich.



If you like eggnog--and for me, "like" doesn't even begin to describe my feelings--you will not believe the utter deliciousness of this ice cream sandwich. And only 140 calories per sandwich!

Here's another seasonal treat...perhaps not available to all. A friend of ours has a successful whoopie-pie business. Last night she brought a big basket of her delectable pumpkin-flavoured whoopie pies for the dinner party attendees.



I can attest that they're totally yum, so if you live in the Capitol region go to Shaw's Supermarket and look for the Whoop-It-Up display. I don't think you'll regret it!

The mild weather is very unseasonal. So pleasant!


No comments: