"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Home Ground

The week was light on blogging because heavy on activity. Some days I worked on my manuscript revision, cutting out stuff. On Thursday I had a planning meeting for our Diocesan Convention, followed by a Diocesan Council meeting. I'm moderator of both.

Two views of Friday's sunset.




Yesterday was my first time moderating our annual Diocesan Convention. For me it's like a big family reunion, I see friends--clergy and laity--from all around the state, with whom I've served on committees or got to know through various other events. Our Bishop's address and his sermon as part of the Eucharist were honest and inspiring. The business portion passed by very swiftly and easily--we finished before lunch rather than at 3 p.m. as scheduled. It was a very rainy day and I spent the rest of it on pre-company, pre-hibernation Lodge-tidying.

A little rain this morning when we went to church (I was designated this week's speaker on Stewardship) but by afternoon the sun was out and the skies clear.

I've just come in from my stroll. Very mild temperatures--spring-like! The forsythia has hardly any leaves left, but it remains confused about the season, sending out flowers here and there.



My towering winterberry bush, however, makes me nervous. If the enormous crop of berries correlates to the severity of the coming winter, we're in big trouble!



Jewel on the back steps.



Ruth on the other side of the fence.



Shaping up to be a busy week, with meetings or appointments or dinner parties nearly every day and overnight company on Tuesday. I even have a top-secret, confidential activity that I can only reveal after the fact. And probably won't give many details!

I'm obsessed with Thanksgiving planning. It's been years since we spent it in the US. I haven't actually formulated a meal plan yet in its entirety. But I think about it a lot.

Couple of things...a friend, constituent, fellow parishioner is doing a wonderful and energetic awareness-raising project for fallen soldiers. You can learn about it here. It's a demanding effort and he's holding up very well, I must say!

And if you want to keep strolling, hop on over to Aisling's blog as usual.


No comments: