"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Meander

"I want to see the sea," I told him when he asked how we should spend this holiday. "And shop."

So we headed east....

past Wagon Hill Farm.



We crossed the river (aka the Border) into Maine.



We shopped at Kittery Outlets and the Kittery Trading Post. At Orvis I bought this rabbit. Technically it's a dog toy, but my dogs will never be allowed anywhere near it. I'm thinking of keeping it in my car.



Crossing back into Portsmouth, we ate lunch at the Friendly Toast. I had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and fresh dill and needless to say it was delicious. As were the onion rings.

I hadn't found any garments worthy of purchase in Maine. So I popped into my favourite vintage clothing store and found the cutest skirt. On sale. For $11! I might even wear it on Wednesday for the floor debate.

Leaving Portsmouth we followed Route 1-A south, along the coast. On the right side, marsh.



On the other side, the sea. We stopped for some photos at Wallis Sands. It was such a clear day, the water and sky so blue, and the Isles of Shoals clearly visible on the horizon.



A breaker.



Our next stop was North Hampton Beach.

Love on the beach.



Nice afternoon for a stroll, as long as you don't mind a heavy sea breeze.



We continued to Hampton. Thomas Chase, nn ancestor of mine landed there in the late 1630's. "Wish he'd held onto some seafront property," I sighed before we turned westward for the drive back to the Lodge. "But then," I added, "Nowadays I'm more a living-on-the-lake person than a living-by-the-beach person."

Now that my "seeing the sea" wish has been fulfilled, our next weekend road trip will probably be to the cottage on the Big Lake!

I've a favour to ask. Please, please leave me a comment! I need to know that the new widget is working for people other than me. Post anonymously if it lets you. Or not. Just say something! Anything!


No comments: