"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, February 22, 2010

Return of the Chipmunk

After strolling yesterday I met my Friend From The North Country in Concord and drove her to Manchester Airport.

And I did a lot of this.



Because she was embarking on the first leg of her journey to the Holy Land.



Even though we've never been there, and she's an experienced international traveller herself, the Chap and I did a fair amount of travel consulting in recent days.

Speaking of the spouse, he returns later today after his Boston weekend. During his absence I've worked on the novel and the new project.

The 40+ degree temperatures are having their way with the landscape. The ice fishermen were out on the little lake all weekend, so the surface must still be safe. But the snow is gradually receding.

Look--open ground!



The result of open ground is the return of the chipmunk! I saw my first one of the year a little while ago. After all that time in hibernation, he needed a good stretch.



"I'm hungry. Can you help?"



Looking for something to eat.



"Gotta go!"



I'm such a soft touch when it comes to pleading rodents. I put some safflower seeds in a little dish and set it out. Waiting for him to find it.


No comments: