"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Stroll: In My Mother's Garden

Since landing back in NH I've spent an entire day at the Legislature legislating, received positive news about my novel (and was advsied to come up with a new title), had a mandolin lesson, welcomed overnight company, opened up the lake cottage, attended a dinner party, re-connected with my dogs, and a multitude of other activities. I have a great deal I'd like to share in coming days--about my journey and more--so I hope my schedule will allow plenty of opportunity for blogging. Which it hasn't for the past week!

I get my deeply green thumbs from my paternal grandfather and my own mother, and both of them are responsible for my rose-gardening genes. One of the many joys of spending time with family was the opportunity to revel her garden. The milder climate where she lives enables the cultivation of more tender roses than I can grow. I don't know all their names, and have forgotten the ones I used to know, so apologies for the lack of identification.



I covet this white wisteria!



The scent of banana shrub is enchanting. I brought home cuttings to grow as a potted plant, since the one I purchased at Logee's failed me after a few years.



And now--roses!










One of the blue birds.



Thanks for stopping by...it will be a while before my rose garden is in a similar state of bloom! At the moment I've got lots of bulbs and pansies and forsythia, but the fringed bleeding hearts are about to flower and there are flower buds on the lilac!

To continue strolling, stop by Aisling's blog.


No comments: