"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, July 02, 2010

Privacy & Publicity

Busy Thursday...departed the cottage and returned to the Lodge. Rushed to Concord to meet my FFTNC and gave her a lift to the airport, then back to Concord for mandolin lesson. Returned to the Lodge to feed the dogs and take care of a few things.

Driving up the hill I spotted a pair of wild turkeys and their brood. I counted at least 8 poults. Remembering I had the camera, I tried to get some shots as they wandered into the woods. They were trying to maintain their privacy, something I can appreciate.



Around 5 p.m. I made for Concord (again!) to meet my dinner date, the Chap--aka Birthday Boy. I treated him at our new favourite restaurant in town, which boasts a very creative chef who uses locally sourced foods.

(Vegetarians, look away!)

I had the skirt steak topped with garlic scape butter, with mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli.



He had the pork loin with sauce and fingerling potatoes and a funny presentation of a shrimp!



On the way back to the Lodge I paused to photograph this sign. The announcement suddenly sprouted on a major east-west NH highway.



It feels strange, this blatant publicity. (Totally unexpected.) When I was a young actress, I dreamt of seeing my name in lights on a theatre marquee. Now, as a not-so-young writer, I'm seeing it in magnetic letters on the roadside.

The weather here is about to change from unseasonably chilly to sizzling--which is, I suppose, more appropriate to Independence Day.

Have a delightful weekend.


No comments: