"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday @ the Cottage

The dogs and I arrived on Friday afternoon and the Chap was here by early evening. We're having a perfect weekend by the Big Lake. Reading, walking, swimming, cooking, dining, sleeping like logs.

It was warm and humid yesterday. By late afternoon we took to the water, which is now at 78 degrees, about as high as it goes. All along the shore of our Bay, families were on their docks and floats with their kids, their company, their watercraft, their canines, their toys. We all went swimming except Jewel, who mostly kept busy eating blueberries and huckleberries within reach.

Last night's dinner was the delicious braised monkfish, with cherry tomatoes and tons of fresh basil from my plants here, which are very, very productive.



There was rain in the night, lots of it judging from the width and depth of puddles the girls and I encountered on our morning walk. It's not as humid as yesterday, and breezy. The Chap went to church this morning and will stop at the Lodge for some provisions. While he's away, we're having a very quiet--some might say lazy--morning.

I might resume my knitting. Here's my current project. The last time I worked with this sort of Homespun wool, I found it challenging but now I seem to have got the knack of it.



Ruth reclines on her cushion.



Jewel checks to see whether I've updated her Facebook status.



Today, I predict, will be much like yesterday--swimming, walking, reading, a few easy tasks--except I'm not cooking tonight, we're having Singapore Curry Noodles from Ping's. The Mad Men season premiere is a much-anticipated event.

The wedding that will take place here next Saturday is even more eagerly anticipated and a frequent topic of conversation, and planning our UK trip runs a close second.

Hard to believe July has but one week left. But I'm not sorry because many wonderful things are happening in the first half of August!


No comments: