"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Yuletide Decadance

Watching telly earlier, I saw an ad for Ferrero Rocher, the round Italian truffle-type chocolates with a hazlenut inside. (From the lovely folks who also make Nutella hazlenut spread!) The ad reminded me about the Ferrero promotion I recently witnessed in Covent Garden: a tree studded with gold or brown foil-wrapped chocolates. Such restraint I showed, merely snapping a photo, rather than joining the throngs of excited people plucking candy from the tree.



I was not so restrained, however, at a weekend party, when I confronted an English trifle concocted from the host's English mother's recipe:



Must admit, I had seconds.

The Lodge does not contain an overabundance of sweet stuff--yet. I did make chocolate cookies yesterday. They have been handed out to the angels who deliver our post, the newspaper, and all the Christmas parcels. Although I did reserve a few for the Chap. Tomorrow I shall whip up my family's Christmas custard, from a recipe that came over with some ancestor or other from either England or Wales 200 years ago. Give or take a year or a decade.

I wish my blog visitors a hearty "Happy Christmas!" Enjoy your holidays--




No comments: