"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

And So It Goes...

The official New Hampshire Groundhog, Woodchuck, Marmot, Squirrel and any other shadow-shy rodent did not have anything to fear this morning. No sun, no shadow--apparently spring will come "early". Next week wouldn't be too soon, in my opinion.

For days now we've been awaiting the one-two punch of a predicted pair of storms. Perhaps you've heard about it--it was in all the newscasts, alternating with the situation in Egypt. The smaller snowtorm arrived yesterday, the Big One in the early hours of this morning. The forecasters threatened our locality with possibly two feet of snow from the 2-day system. I reckon by the time it's all done, we'll top out at 20 inches total. Mind you, that's on top of the accumulated feet of snow we've already got.

On Monday the Chap's car died (not unexpected) and reviving would be too costly for a vehicle of its age and condition. So, knowing a blizzard was bearing down upon us, we made the most of the sunny Monday and visited numerous car dealerships. He narrowed it down to the last one he saw, and by the time we were back at the Lodge his mind was made up. Yesterday, as snow fell, he did the deal. My Tuesday meeting was cancelled and I didn't make my music lesson, but that's because I let the Chap use my Author-mobile. After a rather grim commute across terrible roads, he picked me up and we went to collect his black Subaru Forester--All-Wheel-Drive and loaded. It has plenty of interiour headroom, great for a tall chap like mine.

Although the new acquisition would have got him to the office, he chose to work from home today--like many in our region. Some of that work includes snow shovelling, of course.

I'm really reluctant to do this, as I feel I've posted far too many snow scenes lately. But here are the views from our office windows today, mine first, then his:





I've got Rogan Josh simmering in the slow cooker, warm and spicy food for a cold and snowy day.


No comments: