"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, May 02, 2011

Current Events



Just about the only thing today shares with September 11, 2001 is that I am all alone to react to events in this country and the world, I was wakeful most of the night watching breaking news, and Osama bin Laden is prominently featured in all the reportage.

That terrible day nearly 10 years ago tangibly changed my life and the Chap's--what we do, where we do it--but we were not victims. For too many others it represents shattered lives. As a result of decisions and planning by our President and his advisors and the intelligence experts, and the actions of an intrepid cadre of military operatives, the architect of those innumerable losses is now dead. I'm not lacking in imagination, but I never expected this sort of result, achieved in this particular way.

There are still dangers in this world, we've not achieved anything resembling the peace for which I daily pray. But something has happened. Something momentous and meaningful--even if I don't fully understand all that it means. If it comforts those who still mourn and strengthens our nation's capacity to embody democracy, justice, and integrity, I am thankful.


No comments: