"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday Weekend

Our time at the lake was relaxing. The Chap managed to do a few useful things about the cottage. I did a lot of reading and some exploring and discovering.

At the corner of the cottage, a nest for future phoebes.



Down at the dock, future blueberries.



The Saturday night sunset turned the lake golden.



We were watching The Illusionist and I repeatedly asked the Chap to pause the DVD so I could rush outside to photograph the sunset, from gold to pink to lavender.

Yesterday I had my first sighting of Walter, my pet fish. Within 5 minutes of seeing him, I was in the Author-mobile, motoring to the nearby shop for worms. He's a small-mouthed bass, but he'll eat any kind of worm I toss to him, even if they say "trout" on the container.



Yesterday the Motor Ship Mount Washington made her maiden voyage down our bay.



Then back up the bay. A couple of hours later, down again and then up.

Not long after that, we watched the loon fishing in the cove just to our south.



On my Sunday night sunset watch, I caught some neighbours returning to home port in their antique wooden Chris Craft.



Today, Memorial Day, the Chap installed our flagpole down at the boat house. Ruth was attentive to the process. Jewel was keeping her eye on our neighbour, who was chatting on his cellphone outside one of their cottages.



The Stars & Stripes.



Ruth loves being at the lake. She loves riding in the car also.



To me, her expression says, "My other car is a Mercedes, too!"

When we reached the Lodge, a scarlet male tanager was here to welcome us back.



Busy week ahead. Good thing I'm so well rested!


No comments: