"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Indoors & Outdoors



I over-winter 2 passion flower varieties inside the Lodge. This one, a hybrid, opened today. The other, species passiflora, is the type I've known from childhood and has yet to produce buds, but it's nearly 3 feet tall now, covered with leaves, and resembles a jungle vine growing on its tuteur. I could move it onto the deck but for now I'm enjoying it inside the Lodge.

I'm about to head outdoors to plant 2 roses: Camieux (striped gallica) and Louise Odier (pink Bourbon) plus 3 perennials, and install the deer barrier netting all around the large front bed of antique roses. It's the sort of grey, cool day when the dreaded and evil black flies should be in abeyance. Here's hoping.

All of our technicolour birds put on a spectacular show throughout the day. I miss then, and all the spring flowers, when I'm at the lake cottage, from whence I returned on Wed. I'll probably stick here until mid-week, just to soak in all the beauty!

We have a dinner party tonight. The annual Sheep & Wool Festival continues through tomorrow at the vast fairgrounds west of Concord. Sheep dog trials! Hand-spun, hand dyed yarns.


No comments: