"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 06, 2011

Something Fishy

Anyone visiting this blog at about this time of year has met my pet wild fish, Walter. After he makes a nest on the lake bed and he and Mrs. Walter do their thing down by our dock, she swims away and leaves him to guard the spawn.

I've not seen the missus, and it doesn't look as though any nest-making has begun (the water is probably still too cold for egg-laying), but Walter is here. At the weekend I stocked up on worms, his favourite food. After a busy few days of meeting deadlines and overseeing the final stage of the renovation at the Lodge and attending a dance recital, I rewarded myself (and the dogs) with a quick trip to the lake cottage for an overnight.

Walter was very happy to see me. The instant he heard my footsteps on the dock, he came out into the open and gazed up at me hungrily. (I like to think lovingly, too.)

So I started tossing worms.







My young friends' annual dance recital yesterday was a great treat, they each performed independent dances (beautifully!) and group dances with their classmates--ballet, tap, and jazz.

Here's the "Cruella de Vil" number. The dalmations didn't number 101, but they were cute.



Another animal dance--little yellow birdies.



But these baby ballerinas steal the show, year in, year out.




The rest of the week is impossibly busy. So glad I'm here for the serenity of sky, water, and walking.


No comments: