"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Release

This morning seemed like a good time to release my dear little deer mouse, who lived with the dogs and me at the cottage for 6 days, 5 nights.

I carried the aquarium over to a wooded spot not very near but not too far from our property.

As soon as I removed the lid, he scented the fresh forest air.



Seconds later he was climbing out with no assistance needed from me.



He headed for the nearest tree--an extremely tall one with a wide trunk--and began scaling it.



He paused at a broken branch very high up and gazed down at me--posing for photos. We bade one another a fond farewell and I returned to the cottage to dismantle his habitat (such a cute little burrow he made) and clean the aquarium.

I miss his presence, he was a very undemanding guest. I hope he has a safe and happy life.




No comments: