"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Crossover



It costs 50 pence to cross this bridge spanning the Gorge (about 80 cents at the current rate of exchange). Each way. Last night I walked across it--pedestrians don't pay--but today travelled across by car.

Been spending some time in a very familiar place I've not been for several years, which I've mined as a setting for at least one novel and another yet to come. In the past I was practically resident for portions of the year. Having a lovely time seeing friends, catching up on news, seeing sights together, trying out restaurants.

Visited a museum and art gallery today.



Stopped in at my bank. Purchased a tiny stuffed hedgehog (I always buy a hedgehog) and a research book.

My friends' comfortable new abode is adjacent to a wood. Deer wander onto their property. A pair of deer, the mum and her young one, loitered in the garden all of yesterday afternoon. I never saw the papa. I shot these photos leaning out my bedroom window.

Mother deer.



Mother in front, young in back.



The little one. It had just eaten one pink cosmos flower and was working out whether it could eat all the others without falling into the fish pond. It gave up.



The property's gardener and caretaker doesn't mind the presence of these deer at all. They wander about and roam at will and nibble things but are very welcome visitors. This morning when I returned from the gallery and shopping expedition, I went deer stalking, to see if they were about, but couldn't find them.

Next...sheep stalking!


No comments: