"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

This Week

It's a very quiet time for me. I've officially started a new fiction project while simultaneously outlining a nonfiction project. No meetings on the calendar!

Our Valentine's Day featured cards and gifts. Most of mine came in the beverage category: a new hard cider variety (6 pack) and a new raspberry beer variety (single bottle) to try.

This is what the dogs gave us:



Purely by coincidence--but I'll call it a Valentine's Gift--I got a Nook Tablet. It's wonderfully portable, has many functions (email, web browsing, apps) in addition to serving as an e-reader. I have absolutely no plans to switch from reading traditionally published books to e-books. But it will be useful when I get round to converting my own books to digital editions. I did download a couple of public domain (free) books last night. Including Pride & Prejudice. What on earth would Jane Austen make of our 21st century reading technology, I wonder?

For the past 2 nights we enjoyed the annual spectacle known as the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. As usual, there was a tie for the Best on Couch trophy: both Jewel and Ruth performed equally outstandingly. Ruth watched the dog show occasionally. Jewel slept through it. Those of us who paid attention were rooting for Ian, the Dalmation. We were very disappointed by the outcome.

I'm glad to have so much at-home time right now. My travel schedule for 2012 is insane!


No comments: