"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 11, 2012

Coming up Roses



Everything so early this year...but I'm revelling in roses. Above and below, the one called John Davis.



A rugosa hybrid--I grow quite a few of them--Conrad Ferdinand Meyer. Normally I feel lucky if this frustrating specimen puts out a single bloom in a season. This year, it's a towering plant absolutely covered with blossoms and blooms, completely justifying my decision to add it to the garden, and be patient!



Tuscany, from the 1590's, a gallica. I grow lots of gallicas!



Camaieux, a striped gallica, from a later period--19th century.



A damask, Quatre Saisons, the fabled Four Seasons Rose, also known as the Autumn Damask for its reblooming ability. The oldest rose I grow, dates to ancient times.



More to come. Many, many more!

No comments: